The Armenian leaders of Nagorno-Karabakh state that their army has carried out “preventive actions” at the line of contact with the Azerbaijani armed forces in retaliation for the attacks launched by Baku against some Armenian defense facilities earlier this week.
“In response to the activity of the enemy on the line of contact on the night of 16 to 17 May, the units of the Army of the Defense took preventive measures,” revealed the Ministry of Defense of Nagorno-Karabakh in a press release issued yesterday.
The ministry also published a video showing the destruction of some Azerbaijani positions, including a command post and a military vehicle.
The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense claimed that the Armenian armed forces had opened fire on Azerbaijani troops’ positions and areas near the front line. He added that the Armenian forces also used military drones but could not inflict any damage “because of their low quality”.
“The armed forces of Azerbaijan have not suffered any human or material loss,” said the Azerbaijani army.
On Monday, Azerbaijan said its army had destroyed an Osa air defense system, adding that its deployment near the line of control was a “provocation” and a threat to Azerbaijani aircraft.
Armenia and Karabakh confirmed the Azerbaijani firings, but assured that they had caused only insignificant damage to the military equipment and caused no deaths.
These latest incidents in Karabakh are occurring as tension increases in the area under Armenian control.
Armenian armed forces and the Azerbaijani armed forces clashed in April 2016 in what was called the “Four Day War”.
International diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict over the past 25 years have made little progress.
Claire © armenews.com